It is peak ball season for universities in Melbourne at the moment (or at least at mine) hence I attended 2 balls in less than 7 days… Hence, I decided to share one of the looks that I did as I’m quite pleased with how it came out (I loved the other look too but I didn’t get a good photo 😥 )
So for this look, I used Bella Fiori’s Bronzed Goddess makeup look as a guide for what I wanted to do.
I began my makeup by putting tape on my eyes from my outer corner to the end of my eyebrow. I just find that this helps so much with more intense makeup looks so that the blending doesn’t get too out of control. I did my eyes first just in case there was fallout so I could easily clean it up, and in case I made a mistake, I could start over without redoing my whole face of makeup.
I began with Makeup Geek’s “Creme Brulee” in the crease as my transition shade and then added quite a lot of “Perception” from the Stila Eyes are the Window: Mind palette to give an orange transition.
I blended this shade quite high up so that it would be visible while my eyes are open. Then to make it slightly browner, I blended “Cocoa Bear” and “Cabin Fever” from Makeup Geek directly into my crease and in my inner and outer corners to begin the halo effect.
And lastly, to darken it up more, I added “Espresso” from my Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette just in my inner and outer corners.
Now for the bronze pop on my lid, I actually used my Betty-Lou Manizer Bronzer from The Balm Cosmetics as I don’t have a bronze coloured eyeshadow. I used my finger to apply this and it came out so pigmented.
I then finished the look by putting “White Lies” from Makeup Geek on my Brow Bone, Mary-Lou Manizer from The Balm in my inner corner and I blended “Perception” with a bit of “Cocoa Bear” again under my eyes.
I then finished my eyes with the NYX Retractable eyeliner in black in my tight line and water line, a combination of the NYX Stacked mascara and the Estee Lauder Volumptuous Mascara and the Essence Brow Styling Kit for my brows.
For my primer, I used what I know makes my makeup look amazing and will last all night… The Nivea Men’s Aftershave Balm. Now I know the controversy behind this… that it does make you break out because it’s designed to help absorb product into your skin. But it just makes my makeup look so good that when it comes to formal events, I just can’t help myself. I also used the Smashbox Photofinish pore filling primer on my nose and under eye area to minimise my pores. I used the Hourglass Vanish Stick foundation in the shade “light beige”. It’s very new to my collection and I intend on doing a full review on it, but spoiler alert: I LOVE IT! For my concealer, I used the LA Girl Pro Concealer in “Natural” which caused me a bit of drama because it reacted and blended a bit strangely with my foundation where it almost looked like it was taking my foundation off and separating it so I wouldn’t recommend that particular combination AT ALL!! I set my face and baked with the Laura Mercier loose setting powder in “translucent” which I’ve been LOVING!
To contour I used the Benefit Hoola bronzer stick , as well as the Too Faced Cocoa Contour Kit. My bronzer, surprise surprise, was the Body Shop Baked to Last Bronzer in “Warm Glow”. I’ve done a review on this already and it is my all-time favourite, holy grail, ride or die bronzer. I love it so so so much. For my blush, I wanted a tiny bit of colour but also something very neutral so I used my Essence Cosmetics Satin Touch Blush in “Satin Bronze” combined with my Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in “Achiote”. Lastly, for my highlight, I used my favourite combination: the Nude by Nature highlight stick in “champagne” and the Becca Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfecter in “Opal”. The cream highlight just makes it pop so much and the Becca one is so finely mild that it glows and catches the light so beautifully.
I set it all with my NYX Matte setting spray.
As I wore a red dress, of course, I had to do a red lip. I used my Colour Pop Lippie Pencil in “Bossy” to outline my lips and then my NYX Liquid Suede lipstick in the shade “Kitten Heels” which matched my dress perfectly.
For my outfit, I wore a red dress that I bought from Missguided. I really really wanted to wear red so I’m so happy that I stumbled across this dress and it fit me perfectly. I paired it with some nude shoes that I already owned, a nude clutch and silver jewellery.
Some tips and tricks that I’ve picked up along the way:
Some of these might be a bit “state the obvious” but in case someone out there didn’t know it, I’ll say them anyway.
- You don’t have to go out a spend a fortune on getting your hair and makeup done. If you look up some makeup tutorials, you can practice at home and use the products you already have, maybe buy a couple more so you can do it yourself on the night. Otherwise, you can get a friend to help you out.
- I know we all want a new outfit that no one has seen you in before for such special events, but you don’t need to buy new shoes and accessories and all that. A new dress is definitely enough to have people wowed. No one will know that it’s an old pair of shoes.
- When dress shopping, keep a look out for discount codes, particularly if you’re a student. Unidays often has them for various sites.
- As tempting as it can be to buy a long ball gown, it’s perfectly acceptable to wear a midi length dress as they can look just as formal. I’d definitely recommend this as you’re far more likely to wear it again to parties or weddings etc.
- If the event is quite far from your house, you may want to consider getting a hotel room close to it with your friends. It doesn’t have to be anywhere fancy, just a place that you can get ready together in, take photos and then crash in that night. When you’re heading home from the after party at 3am, the last thing you want to think about is the hour trip home so having somewhere nearby is super helpful.
- Also, if you do decide to book a hotel, try to get one as close to the after party as possible(if you plan on going), rather than the ball itself so when the busses drop you at the party you can quickly go to your hotel, change your shoes, leave your jacket behind and then be way more comfortable at the party- TRUST ME! THIS WILL SAVE YOU!
I hope you found something from this helpful and that it was easy to follow along with. Have an incredible time at any events that you have coming up.